Last Updated on March 18, 2022 by April
Although we all dread the idea of replacing out sweetened condensed milk, sometimes we run out or want to cut calories. Find out some convenient sweetened condensed milk substitutes that you likely already own.
What is Sweetened, Condensed Milk?
So you’ve come across a recipe that calls for this ingredient that you haven’t tried before. Just so you know, it’s delicious.
Sweetened Condensed Milk, also known as “condensed cow’s milk, ” is milk that has almost all the water removed. After the water removal, sugar is added to give it that irresistible sweet flavor.
People love sweetened condensed milk because it has a thick, creamy texture and a sweet, milky flavor. It’s perfect for making desserts like cakes, pies, and ice cream, and it also can be used in savory dishes like macaroni and cheese.
Best Sweetened, Condensed Milk Substitutes
If you’re looking to substitute condensed milk in your cheesecake, fudge, ice cream, cake, or any other recipe, these ideas below will help!
Cream of Coconut
Cream of coconut is a dairy-free substitute for sweetened condensed milk. It’s made from coconut milk and sugar, so it has a sweet, coconutty flavor.
It has a syrupy consistency and is often used in bartending to sweeten drinks such as the classic Pina Colada. You can find it at your local liquor store in a can or squeeze bottle.
Evaporated milk is a dairy-based substitute for sweetened condensed milk. It’s made by slowly heating regular milk until about half of the water content has evaporated. This leaves you with a thick, creamy consistency and a slightly caramelized flavor.
Evaporated milk is perfect for those who want to cut down on sugar but still enjoy the taste of sweetened condensed milk. You can find it in most grocery stores in a can.
Full-Fat Coconut Milk
Full-fat coconut milk is another dairy-free alternative to sweetened condensed milk. This condensed milk replacement is very easily found in grocery stores.
Coconut milk has a sweet, rich flavor that pairs well with desserts. It also works great in savory dishes like curries.
Just make sure to get full-fat coconut milk and not the kind meant for drinking. The full-fat version is much thicker and will give you the consistency you’re looking for.
Sweetened, Condensed Milk Recipe
- Evaporated Milk
- Mix evaporated milk and sugar (to taste) in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Do not stir while heating.
- Once the mixture is creamy, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the mixture in you desired container.
Vegan Sweetened, Condensed Milk Recipe
- 1 can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Sweetener Sugar or Maple Syrup
- Combine the full-fat coconut milk and maple syrup to a medium saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Continue simmering and mix every 5 minutes.
- After 45 minutes have passed, remove from heat.
- Allow to cool and store in your preferred container.
Why Substitute Sweetened, Condensed Milk?
Aside from the obvious dilemma of running out of this ingredient, sometimes people actually choose to not use condensed milk. Mindblowing, right?
Sweetened condensed milk is high in sugar and calories, so it’s best to enjoy it in moderation. Those who are looking to cut calories or simply want to follow a generally healthy lifestyle should avoid consuming a large amount of this ingredient.
But when you do indulge, there are some easy substitutes that can help you cut down on sugar. This is where this post comes in handy. Read on to find out the best ways to sub out your condensed milk.
What to do With Leftover Condensed Milk
- Make a milkshake – Add some condensed milk to your favorite milkshake to give it an extra creamy texture and sweet flavor.
- Add it to coffee or tea – Sub out your creamer for condensed milk for a desserty drink.
- Use it in place of sugar in baking recipes – Use condensed milk instead of sugar for an extra indulgent dessert.
- Ice cream topping – This may end up being your new favorite ice cream add-in.
- Overnight oats – Make your overnight oats extra creamy.
- Shaved ice – The thick creamy texture of condensed milk goes very well with shaved ice.
- Filipino desserts – Sweetened condensed milk is an ingredient in many Filipino recipes. Try something new today!
There you have it! These are some great substitutes for sweetened condensed milk. They all have unique flavors and textures, so experiment until you find the perfect one for your recipe.
And if you’re feeling up to it, why not try making your own sweetened condensed milk? It’s actually very easy to do and can be tailored to your own taste preferences.
If you have a favorite sweetened condensed milk substitute, please let us all know in the comments. Happy cooking!