Last Updated on February 18, 2024 by April
Boho, short for Bohemian, living room decor is synonymous with an eclectic mix of color, pattern, and texture. This design approach embraces a carefree, relaxed, and unusual aesthetic that stands out from the conventional.
It’s about creating a warm and inviting space that reflects a love for different cultures, times, and unconventional artistry. As a style, it signifies one’s adventures, stories, and a life less ordinary, making each Boho living room as unique as the individual who brings it to life.
Classy Bohemian Living Room Ideas to Inspire Your Space
Defining Boho Style
Boho style embodies a carefree, relaxed, and eclectic aesthetic, combining various textures, patterns, and cultural influences to create a warm and personal space.
Playing with colors is one of the pillars of Boho decor. Shades that one might not typically imagine together can coexist harmoniously in a Boho-inspired space, offering a visual feast for the eyes.
It’s not just about bright or pastel hues; earthy tones also find their place, grounding the design and providing a warm backdrop for layers of texture. Fabrics like velvet, silk, and chenille often play a significant role, draped over furniture or hung as tapestries to add depth and interest.
In a Boho living room, furniture selections often feature vintage pieces, which possess a certain character and history that new items simply can’t replicate. These may be paired with global-inspired textiles such as Moroccan rugs or Turkish kilims, which lay the foundation for a multiplicity of throw pillows.
Each accessory is an opportunity to add a touch of personal whimsy, whether it be through patterned throws, mismatched cushion covers, or an array of plants that bring life and vibrancy to the room. The end goal is a comfortable, inviting space that feels as though it has been curated over time.
Boho style is marked by:
- Layering: Different textures and fabrics create depth.
- Unconventional Mix: A blend of new and vintage elements.
- Global Influence: Incorporating culturally diverse and handcrafted items.
- Artistic Flair: Personal expression through art and unique pieces.
Color Palettes and Patterns
The typical boho color scheme includes:
- Earthy Tones: Browns, greens, and grays as a base.
- Vibrant Accents: Jewel tones like ruby, sapphire, and emerald.
- Mixed Patterns: Floral, paisley, or tribal prints for visual interest.
Furniture in boho decor should be:
- Eclectic: Mix-and-match approach, combining different styles and eras.
- Comfort-Focused: Low-lying pieces like daybeds or floor poufs for relaxed seating.
- Natural Materials: Wood, rattan, and wicker for a grounded feel.
Boho Decor Elements
Boho decor is characterized by its use of eclectic and natural elements, creating a laid-back and artistic ambiance. Each element contributes to the warmth and personality of the space.
Textiles and Fabrics
In Boho decor, textiles and fabrics are tantamount to achieving a cozy atmosphere. Layering is key; think chunky knit blankets, Moroccan poufs, and macrame hangings. A variety of patterns such as paisleys, stripes, or ethnic prints on throw pillows and rugs add depth and a touch of worldliness.
- Throws: Chunky knit, tassels, tribal prints
- Cushions: Bright colors, mismatched patterns
- Rugs: Vintage Turkish or Persian, natural jute
Plants and Greenery
Plants and greenery breathe life into Boho spaces. Large potted indoor trees like the Fiddle Leaf Fig or hanging plants such as Spider plants bring a sense of nature indoors. Terracotta pots or woven planters complement the Boho aesthetic.
- Large Plants: Fiddle Leaf Fig, Monstera, Rubber Plant
- Hanging Greenery: Spider Plant, Pothos, Ferns
- Planters: Woven baskets, macrame hangers, colored terracotta
The right lighting fixtures can set a tranquil mood in a Boho living room. Soft, diffused lighting is preferred — think paper lanterns or woven pendant lights. Vintage floor lamps or lanterns with colored glass also add a unique and charming touch.
- Ceiling Fixtures: Woven pendants, beaded chandeliers
- Lamps: Scaled vintage floor lamps, table lamps with fabric shades
Wall Decor and Art
Boho walls are often adorned with a mix of wall decor and art. Tapestry wall hangings, vintage mirrors, and gallery walls with an array of framed photos or small artworks are staples. Handcrafted items and pieces that tell a story are especially valued.
- Tapestries: Colorful fabric, geometric patterns, ethnic designs
- Mirrors: Ornate frames, irregular shapes
- Gallery Walls: Mismatched frames, eclectic mix of styles
Accessorizing Your Boho Living Room
Accessorizing is key to achieving a cozy, eclectic vibe. Carefully chosen pillows, throws, rugs, and unique accents can transform a space into a bohemian haven.
Pillows and Throws
A selection of colorful pillows and cozy throws can add warmth and texture to a boho living room. They should consider:
- Textures: Velvet, faux fur, or knit fabrics
- Patterns: Ethnic prints, floral, or geometric designs
|Wool, Fleece, Cotton
Rugs and Floor Coverings
Boho rooms often feature layered rugs with unique patterns or textures. Key choices include:
- Materials: Jute, wool, or recycled fabrics
- Designs: Oriental, shag, or berber
- Primary rug should anchor the room.
- Secondary rugs can overlap or be placed in seating areas.
The magic in a boho living room is in its decorative accents. These items often have a backstory or cultural significance. Consider:
- Wall Art: Tapestries, woven hangings
- Planters: Terracotta pots, macrame hangers
- Miscellaneous: Vintage books, cultural artifacts
|Above sofa, as a gallery wall
|Windowsills, in unused corners
|Bookshelves, coffee table